Monday, October 31, 2011

Penny Pinch Beauty Tips: Homemade Facewash-The Oil Cleansing Method





A few months ago, I decided I wanted to try homemade cleaning and beauty products.
I started small, by replacing a few of my cleaning products with vinegar {I’ll talk more about this later}. Then I started using vinegar and safety pins as an alternative to fabric softener.
However, the one homemade product I’m most excited about is my homemade face wash.

The Oil Cleansing Method.

Yup, we’re washing our face with oil — which I know sounds absolutely ridiculous. But believe it or not, my skin has never looked better!
I did a bit of research and found that traditional cleansers strip skin of its natural oils, leaving it tight and dry {which is why I had to slather lotion on my face at least 4 times a day}.
However, the oil cleansing method uses caster oil to cleans the skin, and sunflower oil or olive oil to moisturize the skin; resulting in soft, glowing skin without the need for extra lotions or products. {I’m not a dermatologist, but if you’re interested, you can read all about the Oil Cleansing Method here.}
Don’t worry, it’s REALLY simple to make, and practically free!

Ingredients:

1. Caster Oil — found in the laxative section of your grocery store
2. Sunflower Oil or Olive Oil – we’re using sunflower oil
3. A small plastic bottle with tight sealing cap – I found mine in the travel-size section for 89 cents
4. A soft washcloth


Making the Oil Cleansing Face Wash

Mix the two oils in a small, flip-top plastic bottle according to your skin type.
NORMAL SKIN: Mix one-part caster oil with one-part sunflower oil.
OILY SKIN: Mix two or three-parts caster oil with one-part sunflower oil.
DRY SKIN: Mix one-part caster oil with two or three-parts sunflower oil.

Using the Oil Cleansing Method

  • Pour a quarter-size amount of the oil mixture into your hand
  • Gently massage the oil into your skin for about one minute
  • Run a clean washcloth under very warm water
  • Lay washcloth over your face and let it sit for another minute – this is key to “steaming” the impurities out of your pores
  • Rinse washcloth and gently rub the remaining oil, dirt, make-up, and residue off your face
  • Repeat rinsing if necessary
  • Enjoy really smooth and moisturized skin with out the need for lotion!

Why I LOVE the Oil Cleansing Method.

1. It’s really inexpensive. If you already have sunflower oil or olive oil in the house, your total expense will probably be less than $3.00. And you’ll be able to make enough face wash to last you for many months!
2. It removes make up. The oils naturally remove makeup, so you won’t need to buy pricey makeup removers anymore.
3. It’s SO moisturizing. Dave and I have been using this method for almost a month now and have only used face lotion a few times {compare to multiple times every day}.
4. I feel like I’m at the spa. When I have the hot washcloth on my face, steaming my pore, it feels like a mini facial.
5. I only have to wash my face once per day. I use the oil cleansing method at night, when I’m in the shower. Then in the morning, I simply splash warm water on my face.
6. It’s all natural. Even though I’m still not a hard-core “green” gal, I do think it’s important to reduce the amount of chemicals we put into our bodies and on our skin. So I love that I’m using a product that are safe to eat!
7. It makes my skin feel so soft. Like I said earlier, my skin has never looked better — and this is reason enough for me!!

Originally posted by Andrea 2/23/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment